Wonders Never Cease!
For the X10 owners? I wouldn’t get your hopes up in any way, shape of form for an update to 2.3.3 – you’ve had your lot from SE with regards this handset.
Back to the upgrade, which comes with the following enhancements:
- Xperia smartphones to be upgraded to the 2.3.4 version of the Gingerbread platform with new features including Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing cameras
- Updated Facebook inside Xperia functionality for enhanced like, share and discover abilities
- Xperia smartphones introducing world’s first 3D sweep panorama functionality powered by Sony. The latest camera enhancements from Sony introduce 3D sweep panorama technology so that images can be captured and then viewed in 3D by connecting the phone to a 3D TV using the HDMI output.
- The software upgrade enables consumers to turn their Xperia smartphone into a mini-mobile PC by connecting USB peripherals (mouse, keyboard or game controller) to Sony Ericsson LiveDock™ multimedia station. Connect the smartphone to a TV via HDMI to get a big screen experience.
- Swipe text input – text input by swiping the finger from one letter to the next
- Screen capture – allows the user to share a screen grab from anywhere in the phone
This update follows hot on the heels of the 4.0.A.2.368 update, which has its problems but this latest seems particularly thrilling, with Nikolaus Scheurer, Head of Product Marketing at Sony Ericsson, promising:
“ With this software upgrade, we are bringing a wealth of new and really entertaining experiences to all our 2011 Xperia smartphones, including those already in consumers’ hands today, Our users will get to enjoy new features from Google, an even richer Facebook integration, and enhanced camera functionality from Sony.”
As if that weren’t enough, SE are also releasing another phone – the Sony Ericsson Neo V, which will come pre-loaded with the latest enhancements. I’m particularly excited about this handset, as I currently use a Neo and despite recent intermittent problems with the newer FW (now rectified with a generic UK 2.3.2 install/repair and SEUS upgrade) I wrote a glowing review about the handset and continue to say nice things about to all and sundry. Will be keeping track of this for sure.
Top marks to SE for really making a song and dance about this – I’ve long-complained about the lack of a changelog and this is just the ticket! Thumbs up!